Notifications
Clear all

Discussion Q3: Jesus did WHAT now?  

RSS

Roseanna
(@roseannamwhitegmail-com)
Member Admin
30/03/2020 7:30 am  

Many of the characters respond to the tales of Jesus’ miracles by assuming them gross exaggerations. How do we, centuries after the fact, put our faith in what some call only stories?

Roseanna
(@roseannamwhitegmail-com)
Member Admin
31/03/2020 7:02 pm  

One of the challenges I set for myself when I was writing this was to try to read the Gospel accounts as if I'd never heard them before. If someone just came up to me on the street and said, "Hey, did you hear about Pastor Joe? He had this big rally, and the food vendors didn't show, so he took this one sandwich and fed the whole stadium!" We'd all be like, "Yeah, sure he did. Uh huh. Riiiiight." I think it part it might be because we live in a world of CG and special effects, so even what we see with our eyes, we don't necessarily believe. But more than that, humans are just skeptics. 😉 I daresay a lot of people in Jesus' day heard the stories and thought they were just that--stories. Exaggerated if not entirely fictionalized.

It does beg an interesting question of modern readers though, doesn't it? We have these Stories that we hold to be Truth. And others that we just can't believe. What makes the difference?

ReplyQuote
Share: