Notifications
Clear all

Grace Packs - from Hold the Light and Shine the Light  

RSS

Roseanna
(@roseannamwhitegmail-com)
Member Admin
18/03/2020 7:10 am  

Has anyone else read these books by April McGowan? I found them not only great stories, but they really made me think. Made me see the people standing on the street corners with cardboard signs.

So I bought some gallon Ziplocks and filled them up to make grace packs. Here's what I included:

• Granola bars
  • Nutrigrain bars
  • Band-aids
  • Neosporin
  • a comb
  • Clean socks (never would have thought of this!)
  • Poncho
  • one of those foil blanket thingies
  • mini Hershey chocolate bar
  • feminine hygiene products (I marked the ones they went into as female)

Has anyone else put together grace packs to hand out? Any other ideas for what to include in them?

David liked
V. Joy Palmer
(@vjoypalmer)
18/03/2020 6:21 pm  

Maybe a couple dollars in quarters to be used at local laundromats? I've helped run community outreaches like this in the past, and they were such a blessing to the receivers and givers alike! Also, maybe gift cards or individual coupons/coupon books for local take-out could also be good in grace packs!

<3 V. Joy Palmer

ReplyQuote
Rachael Koppendrayer
(@rachael-koppendrayer)
18/03/2020 10:19 pm  

Maybe a decent water bottle (the kind that's safe to reuse, of course). Hats, scarves, and gloves probably would not go amiss, especially in cooler climates. I know a lot of knitters/crocheters who like to keep their hands busy but struggle to use/give away all the results of their labor; grace packs could be a good outlet. 

ReplyQuote
DeeH
 DeeH
(@deeh)
19/03/2020 10:57 am  

@rachael-koppendrayer  Great idea about the knitters/crochet products!

ReplyQuote
Olivia Smit
(@olivia-smit)
19/03/2020 12:05 pm  

Love this! Maybe a deck of cards? Our church makes packs like this every Christmas, and they always include a small game or something that can be used to entertain ...

ReplyQuote
Cara Grandle
(@cara-grandle)
19/03/2020 12:15 pm  

After reading her book, I was reminded of how important it is to give to the bigger ministries that help the homeless on a daily basis. She pointed out that helping that way can often reach more people than just the one you give too. It made me think differently.

ReplyQuote
Roseanna
(@roseannamwhitegmail-com)
Member Admin
19/03/2020 2:53 pm  

These are all great suggestions!

ReplyQuote
Susantm
(@susantm)
24/03/2020 5:37 pm  

I loved April's books and have thought about making grace packs, although I have not gotten around to it yet. These days, I wonder if a roll of toilet paper might be useful. Or maybe at least small packets of facial tissue.

ReplyQuote
David
(@admin)
Member Admin
25/03/2020 10:22 am  

@susantm I think both of those could be great ideas.  - particularly the tissues.  

ReplyQuote
David
(@admin)
Member Admin
25/03/2020 10:25 am  

This discussion makes me wonder what the current state of the homeless is.  It seems like I've heard lots of people say that the homeless population is at high risk.  

Is there anything we can do now to help make things better for them without risking causing more harm than good?

ReplyQuote
V. Joy Palmer
(@vjoypalmer)
25/03/2020 4:53 pm  

@admin I'd start with the different churches, charities, or organizations that are already serving in this way, see what kind of help they need in order to continue serving the homeless. My church has a food pantry, and I know the current situation has affected how they can serve, but they are still working to serve the community.

<3 V. Joy Palmer

David liked
ReplyQuote
Share: