Notifications
Clear all

Purposeful Reading  

RSS

David
(@admin)
Member Admin
24/03/2020 9:17 am  

If you've been on Facebook during this "Quarantine" time you may have seen the meme, "Your Grandparents were called to war, you're called to sit on the couch - you can do this."  

It is funny - I laughed the first time.

But its also dangerous.  If all we do is sit on the couch we waste this opportunity we're being provided.  This opportunity is to take this time where, yes, we're forced to be more idle than we might otherwise be, but we can learn, grow, and most importantly, plan.  

So here's what I'm suggesting:

When you read right now don't read just to pass the time: read with a purpose.  Make notes about what thoughts stick out to you, what lessons you might learn, what things you might want to research later, and what you can and feel inspired to do when this is all over.  Make a plan on how to come out of this current time as more of the person you want to be.  

Also, create good habits.  They (whoever "they" are) say it takes around 40 days to create a habit so figure out what habits you want to create and start working on those while your distractions are limited.  

Lastly (for now,) start practicing whatever you can.  Think of creative ways you can start taking actions based on what you've read and studied and the plans you've made.  

If we can be purposeful in our reading and our "down" time together we can change the world for the better.

David
(@admin)
Member Admin
25/03/2020 11:42 am  

Here's a great article that sums up what I wanted to say with the first post:

https://goteenwriters.com/2020/03/23/what-story-do-you-want-to-tell/  

ReplyQuote
V. Joy Palmer
(@vjoypalmer)
25/03/2020 4:58 pm  

A reading journal (also known as another cute notebook!) would be great for this, and I've always wanted to start one! I love the concept of reading with a purpose, especially because I write with a purpose!

<3 V. Joy Palmer

ReplyQuote
Roseanna
(@roseannamwhitegmail-com)
Member Admin
26/03/2020 4:24 pm  

YES! In general, and also to Joy's suggestion of a reading notebook. I've never been with-it enough to keep one, but I have friends who do. Just last week one of them pulled out her notebook to share a quote about a book we were talking about, and I was like, "That! That is awesome, that you already wrote down your thoughts on sections and the quotes that jumped out at you!" I love this so much.

A lot of what I read has a purpose built in--research for my novels, for instance, or educating my kids. But something I started trying to do even when in college was look for something in every book I read that I can take away from it. I don't have to like it all or agree with it all or even think it's all worthwhile. But if I can find that nugget of Truth, then it's time well spent...and makes the book mean a lot more to me.

David liked
ReplyQuote
Share: